Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Travels with Potsey

A dog is truly man’s best friend and my buddy Potsey is riding shotgun with me on my way to Infineon Raceway in Sonoma. It’s 6:30 am and he isn’t bugging me to stop for a latte and a bagel; he is just sitting patiently staring out the window. Occasionally he glances over at me and tries to rest his head on my hand when I downshift.



I’m meeting an attorney who owns three Lotus Formula One race cars, one of which is a black 1976 “John Player Special” driven by Mario Andretti. The Lotus 78 also called the “Wing Car” because of its inverted wing look helped win Andretti the 1977 Grand Prix.

I park my 1996 dented and scratched Honda Civic with 140,000 miles just as some guy goes by in a red Ferrari. The mechanics are studied and meticulous; I get the impression largely, that to be here and work on these cars is reserved for only the most patient and proficient. Potsey isn’t as impressed though, but he’s happy to run around the outside of the shop and pee on some old tires.